Starting a real estate agency in Australia

Are you thinking about starting a real estate agency in Australia? If so, you’re in the right place! In this blog post, we’ll cover all the key considerations you need to keep in mind when setting up your own real estate agency.

Learn more about IREOne
Real Estate Software for New Agencies


First things first, you’ll need to be registered as a real estate agent in order to legally operate your agency. This involves completing a qualification in property services and passing a police check. It’s also a good idea to join a professional industry association such as the Real Estate Institute of Australia (REIA) or the Real Estate Business Owners (REBO).

Once you’re registered and a member of an industry association, it’s time to start setting up your agency. This includes finding a suitable office location, hiring staff, and developing a marketing plan. It’s also important to choose the right property management software to help you manage your properties and clients.

This is where the Inspect Real Estate IREOne Start-Up Package comes in. This package includes all the property management software you need to get your real estate agency up and running smoothly. From managing property listings and client relationships to handling financial transactions and compliance, the IREOne Start-Up Package has you covered.

But don’t just take our word for it – why not see for yourself how the IREOne Start-Up Package can benefit your real estate agency? Simply fill in the form below to book a demo of our property technology software and see how it can help your business thrive.

Starting a real estate agency in Australia may seem like a daunting task, but with the right tools and support, it can be a rewarding and successful venture. Take the first step towards realising your dream of owning a real estate agency by booking a demo of the Inspect Real Estate IREOne Start-Up Package today.

IRE Powers Top Real Estate Agencies

Starting up a new agency & need software?

IREOne is perfect for startup agencies.

Book a FREE consultation now

Frequently Asked Questions

To start a real estate agency in Australia, you will need to:

  • Obtain a real estate licence in the state or territory in which you plan to operate your agency
  • Set up a business structure (e.g. sole trader, partnership, company)
  • Register your business name
  • Obtain any necessary insurance
  • Comply with any relevant state or territory legislation and regulations

Yes, you must have a real estate licence to start a real estate agency in Australia. The requirements for obtaining a real estate licence vary from state to state, but generally involve completing a certain amount of training and passing a licensing exam.

To obtain a real estate licence in Australia, you will need to:

  • Enrol in a real estate training course
  • Complete the required number of hours of training
  • Pass a licensing exam
  • Submit an application to the relevant state or territory regulatory authority

When choosing a business structure for your real estate agency, you will need to consider factors such as the size of your business, the level of personal liability you are comfortable with, and your taxation obligations. Some common business structures for real estate agencies in Australia include:

  • Sole trader: A simple business structure where you are the sole owner and operator of the business
  • Partnership: A business structure where two or more people own and operate the business together
  • Company: A more complex business structure that offers limited liability protection to its owners (known as shareholders)
  • How do I register my business name in Australia?
  • To register a business name in Australia, you will need to:
  • Search the Business Names Register to ensure that the business name you have chosen is available
  • Apply for a business name through the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC)
  • Renew your business name every 1 or 3 years, depending on the state or territory in which you are operating

As a real estate agency, you may want to consider the following types of insurance:

  • Professional indemnity insurance: Covers you against claims of professional negligence or mistakes
  • Public liability insurance: Protects you against claims of personal injury or property damage caused by your business activities
  • Business interruption insurance: Covers you for lost income if your business is unable to operate due to an insured event (e.g. fire, flood)
  • Directors and officers insurance: Protects you against personal liability as a director or officer of the company

Yes, there are a number of legislation and regulations that apply to real estate agencies in Australia. These include:

  • The Australian Consumer Law: Provides protection for consumers and sets out fair trading practices
  • The Privacy Act 1988: Regulates how personal information is collected, used, and disclosed
  • The Estate Agents Act 1980 (Victoria): Sets out the requirements for operating a real estate agency in Victoria
  • The Property, Stock and Business Agents Act 2002 (New South Wales): Sets out the requirements for operating a real estate agency in New South Wales
  • Similar legislation